The procedure for coding for each Physician Quality Reporting System (PQRS) measure varies, as each measure has different requirements. The following procedure explains the overall process of coding for PQRS measures:
- Before performing any exams that may be eligible to be included in your PQRS calculations, set up all necessary procedure codes, diagnosis codes, and modifiers in the Third Party Setup window.
- In OfficeMate Administration, enable PQRS autocoding.
- During an exam, record your observations, procedures, and diagnoses in the patient's exam record. If you set up PQRS autocoding, most or all eligible PQRS codes will automatically populate in the ExamWRITER Diagnosis/Procedure Coding window.
- If necessary, manually record any additional procedure and diagnosis codes in the Diagnosis/Procedure Coding window.
- If necessary, manually record any modifiers in the Diagnosis/Procedure Coding window, as ExamWRITER does not autocode modifiers.
- When it is time to report your PQRS data, submit your PQRS data to the CMS through your Medicare Part B claims or to a PQRS reporting registry.
For a detailed description of how you can use ExamWRITER and OfficeMate to participate in the PQRS, see the attached "Participating in the Physician Quality Reporting System" document
For more information about the PQRS, see the CMS Web site at https://www.cms.gov/PQRS/.